Remaking a Few Summertime Favorites- Quick, Easy, Healthy Summertime Meals- BLT Sandwiches
A BLT, salad and Watermelon are a super quick Summer meal perfect for Lunch or Dinner. By making smart choices the BLT can be a healthy, low-fat sandwich.
Start with the following ingredients:
- Whole Wheat Bread (2 slices per person)- Make sure you are choosing bread that is approximately 50 calories a slice.
- 1 Lettuce Leaf (1 per person) I prefer Romaine.
- 1 Tomato (sliced into thin rounds)
- 2 Slices Turkey Bacon per sandwich (Look for Lowfat and No Nitrate/Preservative Bacon)- Lowfat Bacon is 1 to 2.5 g per slice.
- Light Mayo or other favorite light condiment
Toast the bread
Spread on a thin layer of light mayo on one piece of bread. Place the lettuce onto the bread. Next, place several tomato slices onto the lettuce. Then the bacon (you may have to break the bacon) onto the tomato. Top with the other slice of bread. Pair the BLT with Watermelon or other melon. For added veggies, serve with a simple garden salad.
BLT sandwich if done right can be under 250-300 calories.
Next Up- Another Summertime favorite on Monday.
Or for a carb free option- wrap the bacon and tomato in a lettuce leaf and spread a little herbed mayo- tasty and low calorie.